Sunday, December 7, 2008

Are we human, or are we dancer?

The song "Human" by The Killers has recently been receiving a bit of airplay and I must say when I first heard it I was curious as to what is was about. People tend to bag out the lyrics thinking it's pointless and arbitrary, however in an interview with Brandon Flowers (vocalist, keyboardist, lyricist of The Killers) he said he put a great deal of thought into the lyrics. The line "Are we human, or are we dancer?" is a reference to a comment made by controversial journalist and author Hunter S. Thomson saying that we were raising a generation of dancers. With that in mind I invite you to listen to the song and read the lyrics again.

I did my best to notice, when the call came down the line
Up to the platform of surrender, I was brought but I was kind
But sometimes I get nervous when I see an open door
Close your eyes clear your heart, cut the cord

Are we human, or are we dancer
My sign is vital my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human, or are we dancer

Pay my respects to grace and virture, send my condolences to good
Give my regards to soul and romance, they always did the best they could
And so long to devotion you taught me everything I know
Wave good bye wish me well, you've gotta let me go

Are we human, or are we dancer
My sign is vital my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human, or are we dancer

Will your system be alright?
When you dream of home tonight
There is no message we're receiving
Let me know, is your heart still beating?

Are we human, or are we dancer
My sign is vital my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human, or are we dancer
You've gotta let me know

Are we human, or are we dancer
My sign is vital my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human, or are we dancer
You've gotta let me know

Are we human, or are we dancer
Are we human, or are we dancer



That aside, from looking for the name of the journo who said that, I ended up on an astrology page. I really should read up about the real ideas of astrology, all the tidal forces crap. I mean I know I've done the calculation and the position of Jupiter has less gravitational forces acting on me than the house next door but just maybe all this full moon shit has some kind of truth behind how it works. Maybe tidal forces really do mess with our brains? Some reading for another time

3 comments:

Jason said...

Hrm, interesting, I do often wonder where people get the inspiration for lyrics.

Ben said...

I haven't heard the song, but I don't really get what they mean by 'dancer'. I assume it isn't literal, but are they implying something like "we only respond or react to outside influence, we aren't 'in control'", sort of like the zombie view but less bleak, or is it supposed to a more uplifting reference to the beauty of dance or something? I can't really figure it out from the lyrics. I would imagine something closer to the first view but it doesn't quite seem to fit.

Jason said...

I got the impression they mean the term in a reasonably literal sense - is there any particular reason you assume otherwise?

I do like your interpretation of response to outside influence and lack of control though.